Our main goal is to actively engage in promoting cultural and educational exchanges between the United States and the Republic of China, and to better serve the R.O.C. scholars and students living within our service area. The Cultural Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in San Francisco, the first to directly represent Taiwan's Ministry of Education in the USA, was established in 1971.
As a liaison office of the Ministry of Education, Republic of China, we serve the following northwestern states: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and Northern California (as far south as Fresno). Some of the basic services we provide are listed below.
- We provide assistance for overseas R.O.C. students and facilitate the work of R.O.C. student organizations.
- We provide assistance for overseas R.O.C. scholars and support relevant activities sponsored by their organizations.
- We facilitate transcript and degree validation for R.O.C. students studying overseas.
- We collect and translate information regarding U.S.-based educational activities and research literature.
- We support exchange visits by U.S. and R.O.C. educational and athletic groups.
- We facilitate and encourage the cooperation of international exchange plans between U.S. and R.O.C. higher-education institutions.
- We facilitate visits to the Republic of China on Taiwan by presidents of local higher education institutions and administrative officials of relevant educational organizations.
- We arrange and host exchange visits by R.O.C. groups and individuals.
- We provide information on the R.O.C. educational structure and background materials on cultural and educational topics.
- We provide support and advice for students studying Mandarin or wishing to join a program for overseas Mandarin students in the Republic of China on Taiwan.
- We support the study of Mandarin in the institutions of higher education within our service area.
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in San Francisco
555 Montgomery Street, Suite 503
San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: (415) 398-4979
Fax: (415) 398-4992
Web site: http://www.tweducation.org/