GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS FOR THE 22 nd DA DUN FINE ARTS EXHIBITION OF TAICHUNG CITY
To enhance international cultural exchanges and raise standards for artistic creation.
(1) Supervisor: Ministry of Culture, Republic of China (Taiwan); Taichung City Government
(2) Organizer: Cultural Affairs Bureau, Taichung City Government; Organizing Committee of the 22 nd Da Dun Fine Arts Exhibition; Preparatory Office of Taichung Museum of Fine Arts
3. Qualified Participants:
(1) All domestic and foreign artists.
(2) Participants can apply to multiple categories, but may only submit one item for each category. The organizer reserves the right to disqualify any applicant from participating in the Da Dun Fine Arts Exhibition for a three-year period if they are found copying, imitating or forging the works of other artists.
(3) Submitted artworks must be original, individual creations completed. Artworks, as well as works from the same series of an artwork, that have received awards (excluding academic awards) or been short-listed at any other art exhibitions may not be submitted.
4. Categories and Regulations for Submitted Artworks:
(1) Ink Wash Painting: The actual artwork must be larger than 135 cm x 35 cm, and inclusive of frames or scrolls should not exceed 230 cm x 150 cm. Important note: Computer-generated effects and large-format printing are forbidden.
(2) Calligraphy: The actual artwork must be larger than 135 cm x 35 cm, and inclusive of frames or scrolls should not exceed 230 cm (L) x 150 cm (W).
(3) Seal Engraving: Please refer to the relevant regulations listed below in Term 5, Application Procedure.
(4) Glue Color Painting: The size of each piece must be larger than No. 50 and should not exceed 176 cm x 142 cm, inclusive of the frame.
(5) Oil Painting (including Mixed Media): The size of each piece must be larger than No. 50 and should not exceed 176 cm x 142 cm, inclusive of the frame. Important note: Computer-generated effects and large-format printing are forbidden.
(6) Watercolor Painting (including Mixed Media, Watercolor Painting must be the main media used): The size of each piece must be larger than 78.7 cm x 54.6 cm and should not exceed 176 cm x 142 cm, inclusive of the frame.
(7) Printmaking: The size of each work must be larger than 54.6 cm x 39.3 cm and should not exceed 176 cm x 142 cm, inclusive of the frame. The number of print must be specified and a signature 2 must be included on each piece of artwork.
(8) Photography: The length of each photographic work must be exactly 24 inches (61 cm)～30 inches (76 cm), exclusive of the frame. The work can be one single piece or assembled by multiple pieces.
(9) Sculpture (including three-dimensional mixed media works): The sum of height, width and depth must not exceed 440 cm (inclusive of stands, which the longest side must not exceed 240 cm). For artworks exceeding 200 kg in weight, artists are completely responsible for transporting and setting them up at the site on their own. Please pack your pieces in sturdy wooden boxes to ensure their safety during transportation and attach photos of your works (in a presentation-ready fashion) on top of the boxes.
(10) Crafts: Submitted works may be of any style and material. Please pack your artwork in a sturdy wooden box to avoid damage during transportation, and attach a photo of your submission (in a presentation-ready fashion) on top of the box. Artwork size:
(i). Flat (two-dimensional) entries: Not exceeding 240 cm (H) x 240 cm (W), inclusive of frame.
(ii). Three-dimensional entries: The sum of height, width and depth must not exceed 440 cm (inclusive of stands, which the longest side must not exceed 240 cm). In the weaving category, submitted pieces must not exceed 240 cm (regulations for flat entries also apply to framed woven works). Artists are strongly advised to wrap delicate/fragile works in acrylic cases with soft padding to avoid damage during transportation (no smaller than 20 cm in height, width or depth).
(11) Digital Art: This category includes static, non-static and interactive digital artworks. Please refer to relevant regulations listed below in Term 5, Application Procedure.
※ Art pieces submitted for categories No. 1 to No. 8 must be mounted appropriately (glass-mounted works will not be accepted).
5. Application Procedure:
(1) Preliminary Review:
Applicants should send in application forms along with photos of their artworks, to “Visual Arts Division of Cultural Affairs Bureau, Taichung City Government” at 8F, Huizhong Building, No. 99, Sec.3, Taiwan Boulevard, Xitun Dist., Taichung City 40701, Taiwan via registered mail. On the envelope, applicants should note, “Application for the 22 nd DA DUN FINE ARTS EXHIBITION OF TAICHUNG CITY in ______ (your choice) Category”.
(i) Application Form:
Fill out all fields in the form with requested information in detail and provide photos of your submitted works (or printouts for digital-art entries). Applications without complete information or the required documents will not be accepted.
(ii) Photos or Printouts:
a. Applicants should send in one 8 x 10 inches photo or print out for each submitted piece 3 (in high resolution attached to the application form).
b. For Seal Engravings, applicants should submit prints of their engravings on a piece of 35 cm x 34 cm rice paper (no mounting needed). Photos of the engravings are not necessary.
c. For graphic works, an additional 8 x 10 inches close-up photo of each submitted piece is also required.
d. Length of the submitted photography works may be cropped or digitally processed to 10~12 inches.
e. For Crafts, Sculptures and 3D-Mixed Media works, photos (8 x 10 inch) taken from four different angles (front, back, right and left), plus the standard photo of the art piece, are required.
f. Digital Art: Applicants should provide A3 printouts of their submitted pieces in CMYK mode with 300 dpi resolution, or in TIFF and EPS formats. In additions, digital or EXE files and the printouts of the original works must also be saved and copied onto a disc, on which the artwork title and the name of the artist should be written.
(iii) Submissions failing to follow the general rules and regulations of the 22 nd Da Dun Fine Arts Exhibitions of Taichung City will not be accepted and reviewed.
(iv) Once the submitted documents, photos and printouts are processed for preliminary review, they will not be returned. Please keep copies before submitting them.
(v) Application forms can be downloaded from the Taichung City Government Cultural Affairs Bureau’s website at http://eng.taichung.gov.tw/mp.aspx?mp=18）
(2) Final Review: Qualified participants should send in their original works to: Taichung City Dadun Cultural Center, at No.600, Ying-Tsai Rd., West Dist., Taichung City 40359, Taiwan.
(i) The list of qualified participants will be posted on the official website of Cultural Affairs Bureau, Taichung City Government. They will also be instructed via a notification letter to send in their original artworks for the final review.
(ii) Qualified participants for the Seal Engraving category should submit prints of their seal engravings—10 to 20 pieces—on rice paper and all their carving materials in boxes. The rice papers with the seal prints can be scrolled or framed—simply rolling them up without proper protection will not be accepted. The actual size of submitted pieces must be larger than 150 cm x 45 cm. Carved personal signatures on the sides of the seals are allowed.
(iii) Digital Art:
a. The output of static digital images should be in an A0 (118.8 cm x 84.1 cm) size and CMYK 300dpi format with mounting. Participants must save their submitted electronic files in TIFF or EPS formats onto disks, on which the artwork titles and artist should be written.
b. Non-static digital works must be presented in digital files no longer than 10 minutes. The original digital files and EXE files for the submitted works must be copied onto disks and labeled with artwork titles and the artist’s name. It is important to note that none of the artist’s information should be included in the digital files of artworks. 4 Qualified participants are responsible for providing or installing their own equipment, such as that for projecting images. However, the organization reserves the right to inspect and approve such devices. Exhibition set-up space must not exceed 240 cm x 300 cm x 300 cm.
c. At the exhibition sites, organizing department reserve the right to adjust the space for each exhibited work according to event display planning and visual effects considerations.
(iv) After organizers receive submitted original artworks, receipts will be issued to the participants, who must use these receipts to claim their works. A list of the award winners will be announced on the official website of Cultural Affairs Bureau, Taichung City Government. Notification letters will also be sent to the award winners.
(3) Da Dun Prize Review: First-prize winners for each category are required to provide three additional artworks to the review committee. The review committee will determine the five winners of the Da Dun Prize based on the additional artworks which will then be collected and taken ownership and copyright by the Cultural Affairs Bureau, Taichung City Government.
6. Event Timetable:
|Event||Time/ Location||Submitted Works Return Policy||Review Dates||Notes|
|Preliminary Review||April 1-15, 2017||Submitted works will not be returned. Please make copies before submission.||Scheduled for late-May||Sent day record as proof of meet the deadline. Late submissions will not be accepted|
|Final Review||June 16-18, 2017(9 a.m. –5 p.m.)at Dadun Art Gallery 1, Taichung City Dadun Cultural Center||Retrieval of submitted works for disqualified applicants June30-July 1, 2017(9 a.m. –5 p.m.)||Scheduled for mid-June||※ Please submit and retrieve works according to the scheduled times.It is strongly recommended that acrylic boards should be applied to the front and wooden board to the back of two-dimensional artworks for added protection. In cases where applicants authorize organizers to send back submitted works and damage occurs during mailing, organizers will take no responsibility if the applicant fails to take the above precautions.
※Unattended Submitted artworks will be at the Organizing Committee’s disposal after the official scheduled deadline for retrieving and there will be no dispute over such cases.
|Da Dun Prize Review||July 21-22, 2017(9 a.m. –5 p.m.)at Dadun Art Gallery 1, Taichung City Dadun Cultural Center||Artists will be notified later.||Scheduled for late-July|
For any questions or concerns regarding this event, please contact Ms. Chang at (+886) 04-2228-9111 ext. 25213.
8. Prizes and Monetary Awards:
(1) Da Dun Prize: Five Da Dun Prize winners will be selected from among the first-prize winners. Besides a NT$120,000 first-prize award, each Da Dun Prize winner shall also receive an additional award of NT$120,000 (tax inclusive), a trophy, Da Dun Prize certificate and a permanent-collection certificate.
(2) First Prize Winners of Each Category: NT$120,000 (tax inclusive) and a first-prize award certificate.
(3) Second Prize Winners of Each Category: NT$80,000 (tax inclusive) and a second-prize award certificate.
(4) Third Prize Winners of Each Category: NT$50,000 (tax inclusive) and a third-prize award certificate.
(5) Award of Merit Winners: One to four participants in each category will be presented with this award, with the total number of recipients for this award not exceeding 34. Each recipient will receive NT$15,000 (tax inclusive) and an award of merit certificate.
(6) Short-Listed participants: Several participants from each category will be granted a short-listing certificate.
(7) Each winner will receive a Da Dun Fine Arts Exhibition album containing all winning artworks for the event.
(8) All award-winning artworks besides short-listed works may be invited to take part in an oversea exhibition tour in 2018.
9. Award-Winning Artworks Exhibition Date:
(1) Date: Saturday, November 18, 2017 - Wednesday, December 6, 2017.
(2) Location: Dadun Art Galleries 1-3, 5-6 and Power Space, Taichung City Dadun Cultural Center (600, Ying Tsai Rd., West Dist., Taichung City, Taiwan).
(3) Dates for Retrieving Artworks: Friday, December 8, 2017 - Saturday, December 9, 2017.
(4) If an exhibited item poses a possible safety risk at the exhibition site, the creator of the artwork should assist organizers in setting it up. Otherwise, it will be withheld from the exhibition.
(1) Date: Saturday Afternoon, November 18, 2017.
(2) Location: Chung Shan Hall, Taichung City
11.Rights and Obligations:
(1) Organizers reserve the rights to utilize the artists’ information and artworks for teaching, researching, exhibiting, photo shooting, publishing, art event promoting, achievements DVD making, and product or website designing. The rights mentioned above will not be restricted by time, geographic location, number and means of uses. Participating artists are required to agree to these terms.
(2) If the original artworks are required to be delivered via postal or other private delivery services for the final review and for the Da Dun Prize review, the artists are solely responsible 6 for the safety of their works. Please ensure such items are packaged securely.
(3) All awards (including monetary awards, trophies and award certificates) will be withdrawn if the individual artist is found to have violated the general rules and regulations of this event. Their awards will be cancelled and relevant legal actions will be taken.
(4) The organizer will be responsible for the damage of the artworks except in circumstances where artworks have an inferior structure, the material used to make the artwork is fragile or no instructions are given as to how the boxes should be unpacked.
(i) Prior to final review, insurance coverage amounts to NT 20,000 (highest recoverable amount) for each piece of artwork.
(ii) After final review, the top three artworks will have their insurance coverage increased to NT 100,000. Award of merit artworks and shortlisted artworks will have their insurance coverage increased to NT 50,000. Insurance coverage of the remaining artworks will amount to NT 20,000. When claims occur, the maximum amount of the claim equals the amount of the initial insurance coverage.
(6) Submissions shall be made in agreement with and in accordance to the rules and regulations listed on the application forms.
(7) Artists awarded Da Dun Prizes must produce certificates to vouch for the originality and authenticity of their works.
(1) Artworks will be automatically disqualified if it is submitted to more than one exhibition and is awarded a prize by both Da Dun Fine Arts exhibition and another exhibition.
(2) For domestic award winners residing in cities north of Taoyuan (including Taoyuan itself) or south of Tainan (including Tainan itself) who wish to attend the award ceremony, organizers will provide free hotel accommodation for the evening of the ceremony.
(3) For overseas and mainland China artists who are awarded one of the top three prizes in any category, organizers will provide three nights of free hotel accommodation so that they can attend the award ceremony.
(4) The return freight of the artworks which include the three additional artworks submitted by the First-prize winners of each category for Da Dun Prize competition, the artworks from overseas and mainland Chinese will be covered by the organization.
13. The Organizing Committee:
The Organizing Committee reserves the right to amend and/or supplement this document if necessary.